Samuel P. Varner
M, #7490, b. February 1860, d. 9 October 1883
- 1st cousin 3 times removed of Joseph Wayne Peery
Samuel P. Varner was born in February 1860 at Texas.1 He was the son of Claiborne Varner and Susannah Jane Sheek.1 He appeared as a son on the census of 8 June 1860 in the household of Claiborne Varner and Susannah Jane Varner at Waco, McLennan County, Texas.1 He appeared as a son on the census of 28 August 1870 in the household of Claiborne Varner and Susannah Jane Sheek at West of the Brazos River, Waco, McLennan County, Texas.2 He died on 9 October 1883 at Texas at age 23 years and 8 months.3,4 He was buried at City Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, Parker County, Texas.3 From Mary Sheek's letter dated 2/4/1884: On Oct. 9, 1883 at the age of 23, Sam was shot 4 times by a man named Bill. There was a disagreement between them as to the ownership of a calf. Sam claimed the calf for the man he was working for and Bill said it belonged to the man he was working for. Bill started to cut the calf out of the herd so Sam started it back. "Sam said to Bill maybe you don't like it and from that they went to shooting. Bill shot Sam 4 times ever shot was a death shot but Sam never struck bill no where." This happened about 140 miles from Weatherford, Texas. Sam was buried on a high hill at the head quarter ranch but his mother had his body "raised" and brought to Weatherford for burial.3,4
- [S427] 08 Jun 1860, United States Federal Census, [database on-line], Provo, Utah County, Utah, Roll: M653_1300, P396.
- [S428] 28 Aug 1870, United States Federal Census, [database on-line], Provo, Utah County, Utah, Roll: M593_1598, P. 147.
- [S431] S. P. Varner, Cemetery Marker, City Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, Parker County, Texas.
- [S806] Find A Grave, online www.findagrave.com, Memorial# 12601908 - S P Varner.