Joel Henry Dyer
M, #12476, b. 6 August 1801, d. 25 March 1866
Joel Henry Dyer was born on 6 August 1801 at Madison County, Tennessee.1 He was admitted as a practicing attorney on 3 January 1826 at Gibson County, Tennessee.1 He married Susan Lynch Miller on 17 February 1827 at Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee. He and his wife Susan L. Dyer appeared on the census of 6 November 1850 at District 16, Madison County, Tennessee.2 He was employed as a lawyer on 6 November 1850 at District 16, Madison County, Tennessee.2 "In 1856 Joel addressed the Texas State Legislature to request relief for David Crockett's widow, Elizabeth, who was at that time 73 years of age, poor and unprovided for, with several small grandchildren to care for. Thereafter, the Senate Public Lands Committee recommended passage of a bill for Elizabeth Crockett's benefit."1 He plead for financial relief for Elizabeth Crockett, the widow of David Crockett, to the State of Texas Legislature on 7 January 1856 in the Texas State Capitol, Austin, Travis County, Texas.3 He and his wife Susan L. Dyer appeared on the census of 2 July 1860 at Fort Belknap, Young County, Texas.4 He became a widower upon the death of his wife Sarah L. Miller in 1864 at Texas. He died on 25 March 1866 at Cross Timber, Johnson County, Texas, at age 64 years, 7 months and 19 days.1 He was buried at City Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, Parker County, Texas.1
Children of Joel Henry Dyer and Susan Lynch Miller
- Robert Henry Dyer4 b. c 1827
- Albert M. Dyer5 b. c 1831
- John Pleasant Dyer2 b. c 1833
- Mary Ann Dyer+6 b. 12 Sep 1839, d. 11 Apr 1926
- Joel Jacob Dyer2 b. c 1841
- William Grainger Dyer2 b. c 1844
- Leigh Richmond Dyer+7 b. 22 Feb 1849, d. 4 May 1902
- Sam N. Dyer4 b. c 1851
- Walter Worth Dyer+4 b. 6 Jul 1857, d. 21 Apr 1934
- [S806] Find A Grave, online www.findagrave.com, Memorial# 17764718 - Joel Henry Dyer.
- [S1427] 06 Nov 1850 Census, [database on-line], Provo, Utah County, Utah, Year: 1850; Census Place: District 16, Madison, Tennessee; Image: 269.
- [S1435] Texas, Memorials and Petitions, 1834-1929, online http://search.ancestry.com/, Name: Joel H Dyer
Residence Date: 7 Jan 1856
Folder Title: Asks For Relief For Mrs David Crockett.
- [S1428] 02 Jul 1860 Census, [database on-line], Provo, Utah County, Utah, Year: 1860; Census Place: Young, Texas; Roll: M653_1308; Page: 401; Image: 350.
- [S1425] 01 Jun 1880 Census, [database on-line], Provo, Utah County, Utah, Year: 1880; Census Place: Armstrong, Texas; Roll: 1289; Enumeration District: 195.
- [S806] Find A Grave, online www.findagrave.com, Memorial# 6373519 - Mary Ann "Molly" Dyer Goodnight.
- [S806] Find A Grave, online www.findagrave.com, Memorial# 32166591 - Leigh Richmond Dyer.